Most electricians out there are honest, hard-working individuals who have your best interests in mind. However, there are always a few who taint the reputation of the group. At Douthit Electrical, we obviously hope you’ll choose us for electrical service, but most importantly, we want you to choose an electrician who will be safe, fair, and honest. To avoid any scams that might be out there and to hire an electrician who will safely perform the service you need, consider these tips.
Tips for Choosing an Electrician in Charlotte
- Do your research & shop around. Ask friends and neighbors if they’ve had positive experiences with any local electricians. Read online reviews on third party websites. Feel free to ask electricians for references and check state certifications to verify that they are qualified.
- Consult with the Better Business Bureau. Through the Better Business Bureau, you’ll be able to find out about any recent scams, as well as check insurance and certifications for a potential worker.
- Ask questions. Say goodbye to any potential electrical contractor who makes you feel bad for asking questions. An electrician should be happy to explain and elaborate on the work he will do for you.
- Turn down any electrician who knocks on your door offering a free inspection. For starters, it may be unsafe to let this stranger into your house, and furthermore, he may be looking to charge you thousands for unnecessary electrical services.
- Be skeptical of anyone who advises that your home needs to be fully rewired. While in some cases, extensive work may be needed, it is best to get a second or even third opinion in this instance.
- Don’t pay upfront. It is okay to give a partial payment upfront for work, but never pay for the entire job upfront. Some workers may be anxious to get a full payment upfront, but not so intent on finishing the job.
- Never pay in cash. Having a paper trail will be beneficial to you if you become dissatisfied with the service. Shady electricians are more likely to deal all in cash than honest electricians, and you may wind up being asked to pay more than you anticipated. Before choosing your electrician, make sure that he or she will accept a check or credit card for payment.
Douthit Electrical is proud to have been providing electrical service in Charlotte and the surrounding areas for decades. We’re licensed, insured, and have an A+ rating with the BBB. For more information on our services, and for friendly, honest answers to all the questions you may have, give Douthit Electrical a call today!
Written by: admin+
The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half if your home has working smoke detectors. These little gadgets alert you and your family of smoke at any time of the day or night, allowing you to escape danger and, with any luck, they give the fire department the chance to put out the flames sooner, reducing fire damage to your home. While battery-operated smoke detectors provide a good level of protection, and are certainly far better than owning no detector at all, our electricians want to share with you some of the added benefits of hardwired smoke detectors in Charlotte.
Benefits of Hardwired Smoke Detectors in Charlotte
- When one smoke alarm goes off, they all go off. Hardwired smoke detectors can be interconnected. If a fire breaks out in your basement and your basement alarm begins to sound, all of your other alarms will begin to sound as well. This way it doesn’t matter if you’re upstairs asleep in your bed, you will be alerted to the smoke. Having interconnected alarms often allows people a greater amount of time to escape the danger before it is imminently close. When there is a fire, every extra second of time you and your family have to evacuate and call the fire department is extremely important. Some homeowner’s insurance companies recognize this benefit of hardwired alarms by offering a discount on coverage. Contact your insurance provider to see if you could get a discount for installing hardwired smoke detectors.
- Hardwired alarms will continue to sound until they are turned off. A battery-operated alarm can only sound for as long as the batteries hold up. It can be beneficial for an alarm to sound longer if a building has thick walls, if occupants are sound sleepers, or if you simply aren’t home when the fire first begins.
- Hardwired smoke detectors have a backup power source. If you forget to change the batteries in your battery-operated smoke detector, it may not work when you need it to. Hardwired smoke detectors run off of electricity, but they are backed up by batteries. This additional power source increases the likelihood that the alarm will sound when necessary.
Because hardwired smoke detectors are tied to a home’s electrical system, it is absolutely necessary that you call a licensed Charlotte electrician for installation. Electrical safety is our number one priority and we can make sure that no hazards are created during installation. Consider the many benefits of hardwired smoke detector installation and give Douthit Electrical a call for electrical service in Charlotte, Cornelius, Huntersville, Lake Norman, Troutman, Gastonia, or the surrounding areas!
Written by: admin+