In the last decade, climate change has become a major concern in the United States and around the world. We’ve seen intense heat waves, shrinking glaciers, and overall more unpredictable weather. Many scientists agree that temperatures will continue to rise as greenhouse gasses produced by human activities continue to impact our environment. While decreasing the effect that humans have on the world’s climate is both a complicated and daunting task, it has been found that improving energy efficiency is one the simplest, cheapest, and most realistic ways of making a positive change. So today, our electricians would like to share some of the many ways that you can save on electricity. You’ll not only help the environment by conserving energy, but you’ll save money on electricity in Charlotte as well!
Ways to Save on Electricity in Charlotte
- Keep your thermostat set to 78°F when you’re home and 85°F when you’re away.
- Replace air conditioner filters monthly. Your air conditioning system may run longer if the air filters are dirty.
- Seal leaks in doors and windows.
- Insulate your attic.
- Use ceiling fans to help keep you cool.
- Line dry clothes instead of using the dryer.
- Clean your dryer’s lint trap after every use.
- Take steps to make your refrigerator more efficient.
- If you have an old, spare refrigerator in a garage or basement that you don’t use much, unplug it and recycle it. Many older refrigerators are extremely inefficient.
- Unplug electronics and chargers when you’re not using them. Many of these items will consume electricity even when they are not in use.
- Turn off lights and appliances when you’re not using them.
- Choose ENERGY STAR windows, appliances, and light bulbs.
- Install dimmer switches, so you don’t have to pay for more light than you need.
- Contact a local electrician to perform an energy audit at your home to find opportunities to save on electricity.
These may seem like small steps toward combatting climate change, but the truth is that these small steps add up when a lot of people make the effort. At Douthit Electrical, we strive to help people save on electricity; if you have concerns about the efficiency of your home’s electrical system in Charlotte, give us a call today!
Written by: admin+