According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the use of fossil fuels to produce the electricity we use every day is the single largest source of CO2 emissions in the nation and accounts for roughly 37% of America’s total CO2 emissions. Like other greenhouse gases, CO2 can have a devastating effect on the environment by polluting the air we breathe and contributing to global climate change. The best way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions is through energy conservation and that starts at home!
Since 1985, our highly reviewed Charlotte electrical services have helped our community save money while saving energy and the environment. Our experienced electricians can show how to save money on electricity by making just a few small changes that will yield big results! You’ll be shocked at how simple energy conservation can be!
Here are just a few easy ways you can reduce your environmental footprint and save money on electricity in Charlotte and beyond!
- Pull the plug As long as they’re plugged in, “vampire” electronics still eat up electricity even if you’re not using them — this includes phone and tablet chargers that aren’t connected to anything! Unplugging electronics is a great energy conservation measure that sucks “vampire” electronics dry.
- Upgrade to energy efficient light bulbs Energy Star certified light bulbs last six times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs while using 70 to 90% less energy. They also produce less heat which helps to reduce home cooling costs.
- Look out for sneaky leaks If your home isn’t insulated properly, you could be letting energy and money go right out the window! Make sure door and window leaks are sealed. Doing so saves energy and money while keeping you comfortable.
- Get with the programmable thermostat About 42% of a home’s energy costs are for heating and cooling, so having a programmable thermostat is a must. For extra savings, set the thermostat to 68°F in the winter and 78°F during cooling season when you’re home.
- Cleanliness means energy efficiency Clean your refrigerator coils with a vacuum cleaner or per the manufacturer’s instructions at least twice a year to keep it running efficiently. Similarly, be sure to replace your HVAC filter as needed. A dirty one can use up to 15% more electricity than a clean one!
- Call Douthit Electrical to schedule an energy audit Having a professional electrician perform an energy audit is a great way to identify problem areas in your home that could be costing you and the environment.
The best way to approach energy conservation is to work together to create positive change, and learning how to save money on electricity is a great place to start. For Charlotte electrical services you can count on, call Douthit Electrical!
Written by: admin+