Monthly Archives: June 2016

The Do’s and Don’ts of Bathroom Electrical Safety in Charlotte

When it comes to maintaining a comfortable and safe home, electrical safety should be a top priority. This is especially true when it comes to rooms with plumbing such as the bathroom, where the combination of electricity and water presents several electrical safety hazards. Being mindful of electrical safety in the bathroom protects you and your family from electrocution, injury, and fire.

Customer safety and satisfaction are always our top priorities at Douthit Electrical, which is why we always go the extra mile when it comes to helping our customers identify potential electrical hazards in their bathroom and throughout their entire home. Scheduling a Charlotte electrical safety inspection will make you aware of any potential problems in your home’s electrical wiring and help you avoid an electrical emergency.

Check these do’s and don’ts of electrical bathroom safety in Charlotte!

Electrical bathroom safety do’s

DO make sure every single electrical outlet in your bathroom is equipped with ground fault circuit interrupters. GFCI’s prevent electrical shock by shutting down the flow of electricity when a circuit is improperly grounded. GFCI’s should be tested monthly.

DO keep electrical outlets a safe distance away from the shower and covered when not in use.

DO consider having a fixed heating fan installed instead of using a space heater in the bathroom. Even when plugged into a GFCI equipped electrical outlet, space heaters pose many risks and are responsible for thousands of electrical fires each year. Using one in the bathroom only increases their potential for causing shock or fire.

DO keep electrical items such as hair dryers and shavers away from the sink, shower, toilet, and tub areas. When not in use, keep them in a closet, drawer, or on a shelf for safe storage.

Electrical bathroom safety dont’s

DON’T use electrical devices in the bathroom while you’re in or otherwise in contact with water, including standing on a wet floor. This may seem like a no brainer but it’s easy to forget.

DON’T keep electrical items plugged into bathroom outlets when they’re not in use, especially around the sink. You may think it’s easier than plugging them in and out, but letting them remained plugged in only increases the risk of an electrical injury or fire.

DON’T use an extension cord in the bathroom. Any damage that exposes its wiring can come in contact with water on the countertop or floor and cause serious if not fatal electrocution.

DON’T forget about bathroom lighting. In the bathroom, enclosed or recessed lights are safer than freely hanging lighting fixtures. Vapor-tight and moisture resistant lighting should be installed in the shower area for absolute safety.

In addition to these tips, call Douthit Electrical and rely on our highly rated Charlotte electrical services to maintain your home’s electrical wiring and safety!


Written by:

How to Prevent Rodent Damage to your Electrical Wiring in Charlotte

Mouse.Although some may think they’re cute, the problems that mice, rats, raccoons, and squirrels can cause homeowners are very ugly! Not only do they pose a threat to your family’s health, but they can also do a number on your home’s electrical wiring. These uninvited house guests love to chew on everything in sight, especially the insulation surrounding your electrical wiring.

After time, the damage rodents cause to your home’s electrical system can lead to a series of major problems, including breakdowns, malfunctions, and even electrical fire. At Douthit Electrical, customer satisfaction and electrical safety are always our top priorities. Our highly rated Charlotte electrical services can repair the damage done by pests to keep your home’s electrical system running properly.

Not sure if you have pests in your home that could be feasting on your electrical wiring? Here’s what to look for.

  • Listen for scratching or scurrying Rodents usually aren’t shy about taking up residence in your home and often leave droppings and nest material as they scratch and scurry about your home. Whether there’s a little or a lot, this is a clear indication that rodents are present, which means the threat of rodent damage to your electrical wiring is too.
  • Inspect wiring periodically to make sure insulation is intact The insulation surrounding electrical wiring is no match for rodent teeth and appetites! Bite marks and damaged insulation are clear signs. Unfortunately, taking a look at your home’s wiring is easier said than done since much of it is concealed behind walls. A home remodeling project that tears opens walls is a perfect opportunity to check for rodent damage.
  • Take note of unexplained electrical problems Is the power or circuit in a certain room or a particular area of the house unreliable? Is one or several of your breakers tripping for what seems like no reason at all? If any of these electrical problems sound familiar, rodents could be the culprit.
  • Be sure to seal cracks The most effective way to prevent rodent damage is to keep them out of your home altogether! Cracks and holes are like open doors for pests, so be sure to seal these up with caulk or foam spray to keep them out.
  • Know when to call an exterminator If you can’t keep pests out despite all these efforts, then it’s time to call a professional exterminator. Doing so is an investment in the overall safety of your home.

If you have any suspicion about rodents in your home and are concerned about the damage they can cause to your electrical wiring, call Douthit Electrical immediately to schedule a thorough electrical inspection in Charlotte! This simple step can save thousands in costly repairs in the future and is the best way to spot rodent damage.


Written by:

How to Safely Handle Common Minor Electrical Problems in Charlotte

freehand retro cartoon faulty toasterEveryday electrical safety is important, and seemingly minor electrical problems are no less inconvenient or dangerous than major ones. For example, kitchen appliances and cooking equipment are responsible for thousands of household fires each year, many of which started out as minor issues.

At Douthit Electrical, we believe regular maintenance of your home’s electrical system in addition to electrical safety education are the best ways to prevent minor electrical issues from turning into major problems. With a variety of highly reviewed electrical services in Charlotte, our electricians are committed to keep your home safe!

Use to these tips to safely handle common minor electrical problems in Charlotte with ease!

A smoking blender
With health foods such as homemade juices and smoothies becoming more popular than ever, people are bound to experience this minor electrical problem. If you’re blender, juicer, or food processor starts smoking suddenly or emits a burning plastic smell, do not touch it! Instead, unplug it as soon as possible. If you’re unable to do so without touching it, cut power to that area via the electrical panel or circuit breaker. Give the blender time to cool before tossing it and replacing it with a newer, more reliable one!

Shattered light bulbs
The sudden loud popping noise of a breaking light bulb can be a real shock! Before cleaning up the mess, it’s always a bright idea to unplug the light or lamp before attempting to replace the broken bulb. To get a better grip and minimize the chances of getting a cut, use a bar of soap and wedge it into the broken bulb to create a sturdy handle that’s easy to twist and turn. To clean up the broken glass, be sure you’re wearing footwear and use a piece of bread to mop up glass shards.

A sparky toaster
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), U.S. fire departments responded roughly 162,000 home fires that involved cooking equipment such as toasters between 2009 and 2013. As such, toaster safety is extremely important! Always keep a fire extinguisher within reach in your kitchen to put out sparks and small fires. While you may be tempted to use water to put out any sparks, never do this! After putting out the sparks, call 911 and our electrical service number right away (704-SAMEDAY) to ensure the wiring inside your home hasn’t caught fire as well.

If at any time you’re unsure of how to handle a electrical problem, no matter how small, call us right away. When it comes to electrical safety hazards, it’s always best to err on the side of caution! For safety, satisfaction, and expert electrical service in Charlotte, call Douthit Electrical!

 


Written by: