Author Archives: Chuck Douthit

Prevent Home Power Surges with the Help of a Charlotte, NC Electrician

Ask any local Charlotte, NC electrician about the troubles power surges bring to the table, and he’s likely to enumerate a lot. Also referred to as “voltage surges” or “transient voltages,” power surges are anything but harmless. Even with protective devices such as fuse-protected multi-outlet strips in place, appliances such as PCs and VCRs may still be vulnerable to voltage surges and sustain damage to their electronic circuits as a result.

In the U.S., most homes use 120-volt, 60-Hz, single-phase AC electricity. However, AC isn’t delivered at a constant 120 volts. By its nature, the voltage in an alternating current rises and falls rhythmically, from 0 to a peak of 169 volts. A power surge occurs when the voltage uncharacteristically goes beyond 169 volts.

Continue reading


Written by:

Fight Fires: Let a Charlotte, NC Electrician Ensure Your Home is Safe

It’s been estimated by the U.S. Fire Administration that over 28,600 electrical fires occur annually, resulting in $1.1 billion worth of property damage to homes. Majority of these cases could have been prevented if property owners took extra precaution with their electrical installations and systems, and addressed any electrical problem immediately. Avoid having your own home go up in flames by having a Charlotte, NC electrician take a look at your home’s electrical setup. An article on the Fire Recruit site emphasizes one of the main causes of electrical fires: Continue reading


Written by:

An Electrician in Charlotte, NC Can Ensure Safe Home Electrical Wiring

Although electricity allows people to live comfortably with their appliances and devices, care should be taken to ensure nothing terrible happens. Faulty electrical wiring in a residence can do more than just cause power problems; it can also be a potential fire hazard waiting to happen. Such was the case of two families from Charlotte, N.C., whose apartment units burned down, according to a report on the WCNC website, released last September 26, 2014. According to reports, the fire was caused by problems in the units’ electrical systems:
Continue reading


Written by: