Ceiling fans are a great accent to rooms and are an energy efficient way of creating air movement all year long in Charlotte. While many might think the only thing they need to consider is how it will look, there are many factors involved in making the right ceiling fan purchase.
Your fan size will be determined by the square footage of the room you’re going to be installing it in. If you want to take advantage of all that your fan can offer you, its power needs to match the room size. Too small, and it will not effectively move the air, too large and you’re wasting energy and money.
36” = up to 75 sq. ft. room
36-42” = 75 to 144 sq. ft. room
44-50” = 144 to 225 sq. ft. room
50-54” = 225 to 400 sq. ft. room
Want an efficient ceiling fan? Pay attention to the motor! DC fan motors are smaller and lighter than the typical AC motor. They will save you up to 70 percent of energy and generate more torque.
Energy Star-Rated ceiling fans are always a great option. They pass rigorous testing by the EPA and are definitely worth considering.
Most ceiling fans offer the common basic pull chain, but there are other options that should be considered. We all love our remote control. Ceiling fan owners are no different. Remotes are ideal for high ceilings and places that are hard to reach … and they offer the most convenience.
Wall control is another option that can be a great solution for high traffic rooms with a single switch.
Douthit Electric has been providing Charlotte with quality electrical services since 1990. When you need ceiling fan installation, check out our money saving coupons and give us a call!
Written by: admin+
Are you considering buying a new ceiling fan or are interested in improving the efficiency of the ones you already have? There’s a lot more to ceiling fans than just adding to the decor of a room, and understanding what affects ceiling fan airflow can help you choose the right one or get the most use out of the ones you have.
It’s easy to overlook ceiling fan airflow, but the amount of air a ceiling fan circulates each minute has a direct impact on its performance level and efficiency. At Douthit Electrical, we take great pride in helping our customers save money by improving their home’s electrical efficiency. Our highly recommended Charlotte ceiling fan installation and maintenance services can save you money while keeping your home comfortable!
Here are 5 things that affect ceiling fan airflow and efficiency in Charlotte.
- Height from the ceiling Unless it’s a hugger ceiling fan, your ceiling fan’s blades should be between 10 to 12 inches away from the ceiling in order to create optimal airflow. A ceiling fan that’s too far away from or too close to the ceiling won’t be able to move air properly. For vaulted ceilings, a downrod is needed in order to keep the blades 8 to 9 feet above the floor.
- The motor As one of the most important features on a ceiling fan, the motor is crucial to efficiency and performance. Powerful, quality motors are not only durable and long lasting, but they also provide excellent ceiling fan airflow and comfort during both heating and cooling season!
- Blade size and shape In order to maximize ceiling fan airflow, blades shouldn’t be too wide or too long. Even if the ceiling fan has a larger motor, bigger blades aren’t necessarily better! Blades that are too large or even too small will not be able to move air. A ceiling fan’s motor and blades should compliment each other.
- Rotations per minute (RPM) The faster a ceiling fan’s blades spin, the more air they can circulate. Ceiling fans have several different speed settings ranging from slow to fast. The blade pitch or angle of a ceiling fan’s blades have a direct effect on the RPM.
- Blade pitch The aerodynamics of a ceiling fan’s blade, including their size, shape, and angle, are just as important as the RPMs. Blades that are flat and straight will not create much if any airflow, regardless of how fast the RPMs are. The pitch of the blade also impacts how hard the motor will work due to drag. The ideal blade pitch for most home ceiling fans is between 12 and 15 degrees.
When all of these variables work well together, you can enjoy optimal performance, comfort, and energy efficiency all year round. For more information on ceiling fan installation, or if you need help choosing the right ceiling fan for your home in Charlotte, don’t hesitate to call Douthit Electrical!
Written by: admin+
If your home has ceiling fans, you’ve probably been enjoying the cool breeze that they provide all summer long. You’ve probably noticed that you can save money on air conditioning costs by using ceiling fans in Charlotte to help cool your home, but did you know that ceiling fans can be very beneficial in the fall and winter as well? When used properly, you can continue to enjoy your ceiling fans and save money on energy throughout the cooler months.
3 Benefits to Ceiling Fans in the Fall & Winter
- Your ceiling fan can help deter pesky flies in the fall. Flies, mosquitoes, and other insects don’t care for the breeze created by ceiling fans, so they’ll be more likely to vacate the area if your ceiling fan is on.
- Setting your ceiling fan to run clockwise can help you to stay warm in the winter. Some of the heat you pay for rises right up to the ceiling where it isn’t doing much to warm your family. By setting your ceiling fan to run in reverse, the blades will push that warm air back down, helping your home to feel warmer and more comfortable.
- Ceiling fans can help even out unbalanced heating zones in two-story homes that have open stairways. If you notice that upstairs rooms are always too warm, while downstairs rooms are too cold, a ceiling fan mounted at the top of an open staircase can help to solve this problem. The ceiling fan will move your heated air around more evenly and can even keep your furnace from working as hard, saving you some money on your heating bills.
If you thought ceiling fans were just for summer, think again! Ceiling fan installation is a great investment because you’ll be able to enjoy the benefits and savings year round! For help choosing and installing the ceiling fan that’s right for your home, give our Charlotte electricians a call at Douthit Electrical today!
Written by: admin+
Many people enjoy the comforting breeze and coolness created by a ceiling fan. Ceiling fan installation is also a great way to improve the lighting in your home. But did you know utilizing a ceiling fan can also help to save you money on your home cooling costs? Our Charlotte electricians who install ceiling fans know that home efficiency is extremely important to our valued customers, and that’s why we’d like to share with you these three ways you can save money on air conditioning with ceiling fans.
3 Ways Ceiling Fans Can Help You Save Money on Home Cooling Costs:
- You can leave your windows open and the AC off more days of the year. The fresh outdoor air can make your home feel cooler and less stuffy, but only if it actually gets circulated throughout. Ceiling fans keep the air moving, so if it’s not a super hot day or night, sometimes they’re enough to keep you feeling cool and comfortable.
- When you come in the house feeling hot and sweaty, you can cool off fast with a ceiling fan instead of by turning your AC’s thermostat way down. When you enter the house after riding your bike or doing yard work, it’s tempting to turn down your AC’s thermostat so you can quickly cool off. Unfortunately, working your air conditioner hard and fast never comes cheap, and if you forget to adjust it back up again later, you’ll really be sorry when the bill comes in the mail! You can cool down just as fast sitting near a ceiling fan on high.
- You can regularly keep your air conditioner’s thermostat set a little higher. A ceiling fan can’t really drop the temperature of the room, but the feel of the breeze it creates across your skin will make YOU cooler and that’s what’s important. When a ceiling fan helps your home’s occupants to feel cooler, you’ll be able to set your AC thermostat a littler higher, and every degree you set it higher will save you money on your utility bill!
If you decide that a ceiling fan is the right choice for your family, we recommend professional ceiling fan installation by a Charlotte certified electrician. The experienced electricians at Douthit Electrical will install your ceiling fan properly so that it is safe, wobble-free, and efficient. At Douthit Electrical, we provide all kinds of electrical services to Charlotte, Gastonia, Fort Mill, Davidson, and the surrounding areas!
Written by: admin+