How to Safely Handle Common Minor Electrical Problems in Charlotte

freehand retro cartoon faulty toasterEveryday electrical safety is important, and seemingly minor electrical problems are no less inconvenient or dangerous than major ones. For example, kitchen appliances and cooking equipment are responsible for thousands of household fires each year, many of which started out as minor issues.

At Douthit Electrical, we believe regular maintenance of your home’s electrical system in addition to electrical safety education are the best ways to prevent minor electrical issues from turning into major problems. With a variety of highly reviewed electrical services in Charlotte, our electricians are committed to keep your home safe!

Use to these tips to safely handle common minor electrical problems in Charlotte with ease!

A smoking blender
With health foods such as homemade juices and smoothies becoming more popular than ever, people are bound to experience this minor electrical problem. If you’re blender, juicer, or food processor starts smoking suddenly or emits a burning plastic smell, do not touch it! Instead, unplug it as soon as possible. If you’re unable to do so without touching it, cut power to that area via the electrical panel or circuit breaker. Give the blender time to cool before tossing it and replacing it with a newer, more reliable one!

Shattered light bulbs
The sudden loud popping noise of a breaking light bulb can be a real shock! Before cleaning up the mess, it’s always a bright idea to unplug the light or lamp before attempting to replace the broken bulb. To get a better grip and minimize the chances of getting a cut, use a bar of soap and wedge it into the broken bulb to create a sturdy handle that’s easy to twist and turn. To clean up the broken glass, be sure you’re wearing footwear and use a piece of bread to mop up glass shards.

A sparky toaster
According to the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA), U.S. fire departments responded roughly 162,000 home fires that involved cooking equipment such as toasters between 2009 and 2013. As such, toaster safety is extremely important! Always keep a fire extinguisher within reach in your kitchen to put out sparks and small fires. While you may be tempted to use water to put out any sparks, never do this! After putting out the sparks, call 911 and our electrical service number right away (704-SAMEDAY) to ensure the wiring inside your home hasn’t caught fire as well.

If at any time you’re unsure of how to handle a electrical problem, no matter how small, call us right away. When it comes to electrical safety hazards, it’s always best to err on the side of caution! For safety, satisfaction, and expert electrical service in Charlotte, call Douthit Electrical!

 


Written by: